Thursday, April 28, 2011

The unexpected

This morning did not quite go according to plan.

* I was looking forward to some prayer time before Mass, but the boys wanted a ride to church because of the heavy rainstorm so I agreed to wait for them - I figured it's a missionary sacrifice to give up my much-desired time with the Lord in order to bring others to Him.
* On my way to the shower, I heard a roommate crying and was tempted to go on about my business but remembered that to comfort the sorrowful is a work of mercy.
* That roommate left the apartment soon after, only to return a minute later carrying my Rosary, soaking wet, which she'd found outside.  I was glad then that I had chosen to act out of Christian love rather than ignore her.
* The campus safety vehicles began circling the college with their sirens blaring to inform us of a tornado warning; I contacted the boys to let them know we'd be staying home.
* As the rain worsened, I checked the weather report and it said we were now under not only a tornado but also a flash flood warning.
* My friend called to say that part of her window had blown in and her room was flooding.  Apparently students in some dorms are gathering in the basement.
* I texted my mom about the weather...and she called me back to wished me a happy birthday.  :]

Now it seems to have blown over - the sky is clearer and the rain has lessened.  If this minor storm can trigger such confusion and fear in us, what must the apostles have felt when out at sea?

They woke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?"  He woke up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Quiet! Be still!"  The wind ceased and there was great calm.  Then He asked them, "Why are you terrified?  Do you not yet have faith?"  They were filled with great awe and said to one another, "Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?" [Mark 4:38-41]

No comments:

Post a Comment