Saturday, April 16, 2011

My foolish heart

Today was a much-needed conversation that I suspect was a long time in coming.  Matt had been asking for a while to go on one of our walks, so this rainy morning after Mass we headed to Denny's for breakfast.  He's in the process of discerning a vocation to either the priesthood or a religious order (likely the Franciscans).  There are aspects of each that he feels drawn to, but I suspect based on his own words that within the next year or two he'll head off to seminary.  Of course he'd love to be serving the poor and spreading the Gospel in that real, down-to-earth way along with other friars, but he has a great attraction to the duties and joys of being a parish priest.  I am so very excited for him - I know he'll be a glad servant of God wherever he goes.

I, similarly, am discerning whether my vocation is to the married life or to an order, namely the Dominicans.  I am currently in a more passive state, I suppose, as I realize I have to focus on my present calling to missionary work, and I'm sure my discernment will continue along the way.  I'm praying for clarity for both Matt and me, that God will grace us with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit so we may know His will and do it wholeheartedly.

Once again, God has removed my foolishness, cut out my selfish desires, and filled me instead with a desire to follow His perfect plan for my life.  Thanks be to God for His gentleness in redirecting me and leading me back to Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment