Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The rain falls...

...on the just and the unjust.  This was part of today's Magnificat reading, and it became so relevant because, during morning Mass, a heavy rainstorm began.  It was only raining lightly when I left for church,  and I almost decided to walk instead of drive because the weather seemed a little warmer today.  I'm glad I didn't!

I love the humor of the clergy!  These days, Fr. Farmer is teasing Matt about the beard he's growing.  Said he's beginning to look a little Franciscan.  Matt said now all he needs is to take a little off the top!

I'm having trouble with silence.  Even when I try to quiet my mind, there's still a running commentary reminding me of everything I'm supposed to be doing.  I don't really know how to practice this, except to start with small increments of silence and work my way up.  Even 30 seconds is a challenge for me.  Mrs. Walsh told me that St. Teresa of Avila also struggled with this -- her intelligent and curious mind did not easily convert to contemplation.  She even said that it may never be easy for me on earth, but that even through the noise in my head, my soul may come to a state of resting in Christ.  I long for this.

Lord, help me to quiet my mind and hear only Your voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment