Saturday, April 23, 2011

Ending of Holy Week

The richness of our Catholic Faith is never more apparent than during the Triduum.  Three days of heightened devotion in anticipation of Christ's triumph over sin and death.  There is nothing else quite like it.

Appropriately, this year's Lent ends in tears just as it began.  My dear brother is broken, crushed to the lowest point and cannot find his way out of the deep.  I have so little to offer him, since talk of God is not something he responds to very positively.  I am here to listen to him but I feel so inept.  He shares with me his greatest pain and suffering, and my words of comfort and motivation sound so silly.  Of course I wish just like our parents that he would just change his attitude toward the situation, but that seems like an impossible task when he is wallowing in regret and loneliness.  Where is God in his time of need??

Lord, You want us to come to You with all our problems.  My brother is finding it hard even to make that little step towards You.  Please bless him abundantly with Your grace tomorrow when he attends Easter Mass -- I know he's been ignoring You, but what he needs now is hope and promise of new life.  O my Jesus, You make all things new.  Give him the strength to carry on.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment