Saturday, April 2, 2011

Home of the soul

After Mass this morning, I was speaking to Sister.  When I said that I'm a senior and almost done with school, she said, "We'll miss you," to which I replied that I would miss the parish.  St. John's has been my spiritual home for the past four years.  I was attending Mass there before Fr. Farmer, Fr. Lou, and even Fr. Hector were assigned to the parish.  I have many fond memories of time spent at the church.

I'll miss the people most of all.  Knowing all the priests personally, and them calling me by name.  Homilies, especially from Fr. Ray when he pauses to lovingly address a noisy infant in the congregation.  Daily Mass - like the black and white weekday comics that tell a continuing story - especially on Saturday mornings when we conclude with "Immaculate Mary."  Staying after Mass to pray the Rosary with the elderly women.  Confession - such a grace for me who fears it and yet needs it so much.

The Adoration chapel - along with the priests, I think this is what I'll miss the most.  I pray there is one at the next church I attend.  Dropping into the parish center at any time, greeting the secretary, and stopping by Paul's office.  Yes, I will certainly miss Paul, his spiritual wisdom, strength of faith, and ability to put everything in perspective.

The stained glass windows.  The statue of the Blessed Mother.  The high arched panes of glass that give a beautiful view of the sky.

This post is making me sad.  Maybe I'll return to it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment