Monday, April 11, 2011

The sacred and the profane

I went to Mass this morning at St. John's here at home.  I had been sitting alone in the church for a while, people slowly filtering in, when all the children from the parish school appeared and began filling the pews on one side of the church.  At first I was a little annoyed -- would there be enough room?  Would I have to give up my seat?  They had broken the stillness of the quiet church and my attention that should have been focused on the divine was, as always, easily swept away by the human element.

And yet Christ is present in the everyday.  I am so quick to dismiss the world and our society in particular as corrupt and devoid of holiness, but this is far from the truth.  Yes, there is a great need for silence and reverence for the sacred traditions of our Faith.  But God has not called us all to the convent or the cloistered life.  I must learn to be mindful of the presence of God in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment