Wednesday, April 20, 2011

To make a wretch His treasure

At Mass today, I felt distracted but kept trying to return to the moment.  Our Church is so beautiful in its richness, God's Word in its depth of meaning, and our leaders in their understanding and wisdom.  I could never leave, could never be anything but Catholic.  Typing those words make me laugh, as they sound so similar to the words of Peter:

"Even though I should have to die with You, I will not deny You."

How many times I have made this kind of impassioned commitment, only to quickly discover the frailty of my human will.  And yet He loves me still, amidst all my failures, not in spite of them but because of them.  I am all the more precious to Him because I pursue Him even in my weakened state.  Indeed, that can only be the love of a Father for His dear child.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment