Saturday, March 26, 2011

How to be humble

Today in confession, Fr. Ray explained that my penance would be to pray for a spirit of humility and quiet service to God.  It surprises me that I never really knew before this year how prideful I am.  When Christ said, "The first shall be last and the last shall be first," He wasn't just asking us to share a piece of cake with a friend.  Why haven't I ever taken His words seriously?  I should be last.  Always.  Not settling for second, not the average joe, but last.

That isn't easy.  For those of us who have spent most of our lives trying to stay on top - to have the last laugh, the best grade, the most impressive connections - this comes as a major shock.  What, you want me to be a servant, to be lowly even in the face of mockery and contempt??

My Savior was.

God has never asked us to do anything He has not already done.  But He gave His very life for us -- is it fair for us to give Him any less?

Pride cannot stand if I see the face of Christ in others.  Love will conquer pride when I truly recognize all my brothers and sisters as created by God.

I think I'll be taking a lot of back seats over the next week.  May I see Christ shaping me into a servant worthy of His call.

No comments:

Post a Comment