Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 17: Rest for the soul

Getting up this morning for Mass was a little harder than usual, but I knew I had no choice...it's Saturday!  I love this Mass at St. John's because of the devotion to Our Lady.  The priest wears a white chasuble with blue accents and the deacon has a white stole with a small picture of Mary near the shoulder.  My favorite part is that, at the end of Mass, we sing the first verse of "Immaculate Mary" a cappella.  Maybe I love it so much because it's the only form of music we have other than at Sunday Mass -- what a beautiful tribute to our Blessed Mother!  Very simple yet radiant, just like her.

I know that I need to go to confession today; it's been two weeks and I won't be able to go next weekend.  When we were kids, Mum took us every two months.  In recent years I'd been trying to go once a month, but these days it seems like my spiritual strength lasts only about 2 1/2 or 3 weeks and then I can feel myself start to slip away.  It still makes me quite anxious, unfortunately, so I know I'll have a nervous stomach for all of today, but at least by this evening I'll be filled again with God's grace.

My goal for today is to be productive -- work on my senior paper! -- and to practice moderation in eating.  I know Lent isn't for four days but I really need to address this now rather than waiting.  Dearest Jesus, bring light to the darkness of my heart today.

No comments:

Post a Comment