Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 19: Moderation

...will be the theme of my Lent this year.  I have none and thus must practice for 40 days.  I'm looking forward to this but am also very scared, since I know the limits of my own humanity.

Moderation in eating - no desserts, only healthy (fruit, veggie, yogurt) snacks outside of meals
Moderation in freetime - only 1 hour per day on the internet for all my blogging, recipe searching, etc.

These are the two areas in which I struggle the most.  In past Lents I've completely cut out certain elements,  like facebook, blogs, and food in-between meals, but this hasn't helped me in the long run.  I always return to my bad habits.  I want to focus more on Christ, which I think I can accomplish if I stop using the internet as a distractor and food as a filler for my boredom, a comfort for my worry, an escape from my problems.

Not sure yet what to do regarding my spiritual life, since I've already added several forms of daily prayer.  The Rosary, Meeting Christ in Prayer, daily Mass, semi-regular Adoration... maybe just be more attentive to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment