Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 8: Cutting it out

Today's Gospel was from Mark, though we heard the same story from Matthew's perspective this past Sunday.  Jesus tells the disciples that if their hand or foot causes them to sin, they should cut it off.  Fr. Ray commented that if we took this reading literally, cutting off a limb every time we sinned, "we'd be a lot smaller."  We all seem to agree that Jesus isn't asking us to maim our bodies, but I think we have a tendency to take this reading too lightly.

Lord, what are You asking me to cut out of my life?  I have many daily habits, many of which are not sinful but still do not give You glory.  Immoderation always seems to be my downfall, whether in my diet, my time spent on the internet, or my relationships with others.  I recently read an article by a Lifeteen missionary who decided to get rid of his Facebook account.  It impressed me that he chose to take a rather drastic route instead of just making a commitment to spend less time on it.  He recognized that, for him at least, it encouraged vanity and was an addiction that did not give glory to God.  From past experience, he knew that he would not have the self-control to maintain the account in a more moderate fashion, so he cut it out entirely.

Lent begins in just a few short weeks.  How can I better myself or make better use of my time?  How can I repay the Lord for all the good done for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment