Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 6: Following the way

Had about 6 inches of snow last night!  Morning classes were canceled -- thank you, dear Jesus!

Fr. Hector's homily was short and sweet this morning.  He talked about the history of the feast of the Chair of St. Peter, that originally it was tradition for people to leave an empty chair in memory of a loved one.  We now see the empty chair as the place we are called to fill.  Fr. Hector said that if we know our destination, it's okay if we don't know everything that will happen along the way.  We're constantly focused on moving towards God and our eternal home, so no obstacle can stand in our path.  The snow this morning was an obstacle to attending Mass, yet we still came because we wanted to be present at the celebration of the Eucharist.

I like this idea, that we have an ultimate destination and everything else is just details, all of which will be taken care of by God.  In the FOCUS talk by Lisa Cotter that we listened to last night, she encouraged us not to be anxious about our vocations.  I felt like she was speaking directly to me, since I've been fretting so much over it lately.  I so desire to be sure of God's plan for my life, but now is not the time.  He will reveal all when He sees fit.

The Gospel was Jesus giving Peter the keys to the kingdom.  In Peter's letter, he commands the presbyters to care for their people, "overseeing not by constraint but willingly. [...] Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock.  And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory."  I've really failed in this area, I think.  I did give a good effort with CCM, at least through last year.  Since then, I've been discouraged and have for the most part given it up.  It saddens me because I know I'll look back on these years and say I should have done more, but I just don't have the heart for it right now.  Is it fair to say that there seems to be little-to-no effort on the part of most members, even just regarding participation?  I suppose that's irrelevant.  God has given me this responsibility, and I must live it out to the best of my ability.  Forgive me, Lord, I am but a lowly sinner.  Give me strength to carry on, even when the way is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment