Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 3: Having faith

What is God asking of you, and how well are you doing it?

This was Fr. Farmer's question for us at morning Mass, and it struck me once again how literally He is calling us to follow Him and discern His will for our lives.  I think I have found the right avenue towards growing closer to Christ - I've decided to attend daily Mass, I'm working through the Meeting Christ in Prayer program, and overall just trying to stay more motivated to follow His plan.

The first reading from Hebrews - "Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen."

Why am I making this commitment?  What has convinced me to pull away from my worldly luxuries and instead focus my attention, my entire existence, on a God-man I have never seen?  On a story of salvation history I can never explain, much less prove?  It is my faith.  The faith of my fathers, of my family, of my Church.

"By faith Noah, warned about what was not yet seen, with reverence built an ark for the salvation of his household. Through this he condemned the world and inherited the righteousness that comes through faith." Hebrews 11:7

Such strong language - he condemned the world!  Noah, living in the middle of the desert, abandoned his former life and all that is considered sane and set out to build a massive ark.  He was mocked, certainly, but he persisted.  And in the end, his persistence was rewarded by his Maker.

So what is God asking of me?  I wish I had a better answer for this.  Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.

Notes:
The Magnificat meditation relates to today's Gospel - the Transfiguration.  "I am the Queen of heaven, and my Son loves you with all His heart.  So I advise you to love nothing except Him.  For He is so desirable that if you have Him, you will not be able to desire anything else." (St. Bridget of Sweden)
Falling in love with Christ will change everything.  Am I willing to let Him take hold of my entire life?  Is He calling me to live truly apart from the world as His bride?  Lord, hide me in the shadow of Your wings.  You alone are my hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment