Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sweet friendship

Every day seems to be one step closer to graduating and leaving behind this place that has been my home for the past four years.  I'm not sentimental about the school itself, since I remember all too well the troubles I've faced here, but thinking about some of the people that I'll be saying goodbye to is very hard.  And most of my closest friends are those I met through CCM.

There really is no way to explain all the ways in which Catholic Campus Ministry has helped me to grow, both in my spiritual life and in leadership and planning skills.  It's been an invaluable experience, and I don't doubt that having CCM on my resume helped my chances for being accepted to FOCUS.

I will truly miss several friends in particular, but overall I think I'll also miss spiritual reading discussions, late night cookie baking and Rosary making, hiking trips, and morning Masses with the gang.  It was so special to share holy hours in the Adoration chapel with good friends -- not many of us here, it seems, share this love for Christ.

Our annual end-of-the-year picnic was today.  Traditionally, this is also a sendoff for the senior members of CCM.  This year, seniors were surprised with posters covered in messages from the underclassmen.  I love homemade, personalized gifts the best, so this was very special to me.  I'll be hanging it in my new room at....whatever college FOCUS sends me to.

Don't misunderstand, I'm thrilled every time I remember that I am one of the blessed, privileged few who have been accepted to do God's work with this wonderful missionary program.  I cannot imagine how amazing and grace-filled the next two years will be.  But looking back over my time here at school, it has been similarly blessed.  Only my God could have placed me in such perfect circumstances to refine me and prepare me for my future work.  Only my God could have given me such trials and brought me through with a smile.  Only my God could have given me these wonderful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment