Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Taking my first steps

Great is our God, and worthy of all praise!  Mighty and wonderful are His works!

Yesterday Matt introduced me to a man named Tom, who I quickly learned is a well-read and eager apologist. He talked on an on about the history of the first and second canon as well as other common topics of debate.  He seems particularly interested in bringing unity to Catholic and non-Catholic Christians, but he also spoke of atheism, Judaism, and Islam.  He knows dates and historical religious figures and can quote Scripture verses to support his arguments.  Clearly, I was impressed.

I left there thinking about my future work and my limited knowledge of Church history.  Yes, I know or at least am familiar with the very basics, but this is not enough.  I am entering a minefield -- I need ammunition and protection.  But how would I know what books to start with?  What should I read that will give me the best overall understanding and knowledge base?  How difficult would it be to commit all those facts to memory?  And where would I find the time?

This morning after Mass, I stayed and prayed for a while.  An organist arrived and began practicing "Alleluia, Alleluia, Give Thanks" -- one of my favorites.  I was singing joyfully and leaving the church when I saw Tom coming after me.

He asked me about my mission and became very serious, telling me that I'm right on the firing line.  I do realize this, and it frightens me but I know my God is with me.  Tom told me that I need to start reading more, which of course is true.  He began mentioning titles of books and support organizations and assured me that he's more than willing to supply me with whatever he can.

Towards the end of our conversation, Tom said to me, "You're the future of this church."  Although he may have been referring to the universal Church and the new evangelization, he gave a small nod in the direction of St. John's.  This gives me hope, especially since I briefly mentioned parish talks to Fr. Farmer, and his response was "Maybe you'll come talk here."  I would love that more than I can say.  When I first (selfishly) considered that possibility, it was because I know this community would give generously.  But now it is more because I feel such a strong tie to St. John's, to the clergy and staff here, and to the families that give life to the church.  I certainly hope I may return here to be a witness for Christ and the good work He is accomplishing through FOCUS.

If this is to be my life as a missionary, I am ready to begin!  I am energized by discussions of the Faith, I love to hear what Christ has done in people's lives, and I want so dearly to share His love with others.  He will not abandon any of His children, so I have every confidence that this is only the beginning of a great adventure.  Just as Matt has brought me to Mrs. Walsh, Dr. Campbell, and now Tom, I know that FOCUS will lead me to many others.

O Jesus, I thank You for everything, for every good gift comes from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment