Friday, May 6, 2011

Beyond blessed

I have never been so grateful for the gift of my sister as I am today.  After attending Mass this morning, although feeling a little better than last night, I still felt a strong sense of desperation and disappointment.  I called her hoping for nothing more than confirmation that I am a good person despite my failings.  But she gave me so much more.

We talked for a full hour, or rather she talked for most of it and I listened, content for once to sit back and absorb the wisdom of one who has experienced the same pain.  We are strikingly similar, though not on a superficial level.  From our outward appearance, we are clearly sisters, yet our personalities could not be more different.  A chemist and a missionary, a realist and an optimist.  One dreams of raising a family embedded in the traditions of the Church, the other of joining a religious community and quietly resting in the Lord's presence.  Yes, in those ways we are quite different.

But when we look deeper into ourselves, at our strongest inclinations and our desire to be loved by the Father and to share this love with the world, we are the same.  Of all my peers, only she can understand me and can relate to my struggles.  Only she has been through the same difficulties and emerged stronger and more convicted in her Faith and her values.

Two minds, one soul, forever best friends.  My Jesus, I cannot thank You enough for this gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment